Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Thursday, September 24, 2015

My research on pre-colonial Philippine magic took me to different ethnic communities in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. They have no characteristics in common because they have diverse mythologies and languages. Succeeding influences from other cultures show up traces of magic from the ancient Chinese, the ancient Hindus, and the ancient Islamics--cultures that may deny the existence of magic in their history although such practices subconsciously exist even today.

As I go further back in time and analyze the geographic flow on my world map, I see that all of it originated in China. Everything RADIATED from ancient China, all the way round to Manchuria, Russia, Nepal, Tibet, Mongolia, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

The Spanish and Latin influences on Philippine magic, heightened by the Mexican Galleon Trade, I classify as modern, not ancient, Philippine magic. I would not even call it indigenous magic, because it is post-colonial.

No comments:

Post a Comment