Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

When I was raising two boys, Nelson and Chito, our house was one big rec room. We had distressed walls, a pool table, a dartboard, an indoor hammock, an open display of swords and knives, masks from all cultures, bululs, African statuary, magic paraphernalia, et cetera. There was even a conscious effort to make our ground floor look like Micki's Friday the 13th (the TV series) antique shop, replete with vault. Halloween was gaudy and garish--I recall that we used to dress up three, life-size, plastic skeletons and hang them on our front porch.

Now that I have two granddaughters, Angelique and Aubrey, at home, I have changed everything. Especially after one of Angelique's classmates--when they were in grade school--asked Angelique one evening, "Your house is really scary. Aren't you afraid living there?". That was my wake-up call.

Now it's "Welcome to Cubao New Orleans French Quarter!" with touches of French country. And, of course, we all love flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment