Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Watched "Sorcerer From Hell" with footage from the Indonesian movie Dukun AS on Ci, about Ahmad Suaraji of Medan, North Sumatra. He was a village healer whose target was to kill 70 women and suck their saliva while they were dying in order for him to obtain power.

This isn't the first crime feature set in Indonesia on Ci. I note, once again, the similarities between Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Philippines. Among the words I recognized were apat, lima, takot, lagi, taon, niya, asawa, and dapat.

It is quite disconcerting that, all the way from grade school through college, none of my Pilipino teachers ever mentioned any influences on Tagalog by Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malay. I wish that someone would finally correct that. I know that, during my time, there was such a frenzy over establishing national pride, but our children should not grow up, as I did, thinking that Tagalog was such a unique and incomparable language.

No comments:

Post a Comment