Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Sunday, August 30, 2015

My bedtime fare last night was Minority Report on AXN. It was a movie I remember enjoying on the big screen years ago because of its awesome special effects and the cinematographer's imagination, which were jaw-dropping for their time. It was, pardon the analogy, a sleek Blade Runner. Watching it again on TV, I noted screenplay flaws:

--Why focus on a murder that has yet to occur if, during the police chases, all of those policemen are already getting killed long before the murder? Don't they count as human beings?

--Why are the precognitives a collective deus ex machina? Why are we faced with human, dysfunctional Greek Fates and Furies after all the technological barrage? Why are they production-designed to remind me of the brides in Bram Stoker's Dracula?

--Why does the entire movie hinge on a mere, Freudian slip of the tongue ("I didn't say she drowned.") as it does in many Grade B crime movies and TV shows?

I psychically tuned in to the writer's mind while watching the movie. It seems that the story was initially conceived to focus on PRE-SUICIDE, but everyone else in his company thought that pre-murder (pre-crime) would make more money. And I guess it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment