Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Sunday, November 29, 2015

One Man's Freedom Is Another Man's Fear

The day I retired was one of the happiest days of my life. I was finally free to enjoy my house 24/7, spend real quality time with my children and grandchildren, and read, write, paint, and knit the whole day if I wanted to. Each day was at my command. I had no more supervisors. I could speak my mind out loud to anyone. I could eat and sleep wherever and whenever I wanted. I became a king, for it is possible to become a king even without enormous riches. It was the perfect passage for a hedonist.

I was surprised, therefore, when an old friend came to me and told me how terrified he was of retirement. He described it as the day when no one would call him or see him again. I tried to convince him that, upon retirement, one's status changes, but the people around one do not change. Still, he continued to feel anxious.

Perhaps other people dread retirement because they are not creative human beings. There are, as a matter of fact, people who do not even understand what being creative is, because one discovers creativity only in solitude, and those with many insecurities fear solitude. I am glad that am able to teach people what all of those truly are in all of my workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment