Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I upgraded to Windows 10 because it was foisted on me as a free service. I guess, I didn't mind, since I am 64 and who knows how many more years I have to go, and have established myself as a writer. My readers know that my subject matter is diverse and ranges from light to dark depending on what messages I wish to convey.

Without asking my permission, the upgrade automatically copied all of my files, installed features I didn't know anything about, and configured my settings, whichever those were. I recall that, some time back, it first showed me a checklist, and, on that checklist, I did not give them permission to access my data, my files, and my location, among other things, and I definitely clicked on "Make No Changes To My Computer". There was no checklist this time around.

Everything on my computer is ephemeral, intellectually and emotionally transient, and is a mere swatch of information for later use in a novel or painting. They do not comprise conclusive indications of who I really am.

When I buy a sheet of paper, I have every right to write or draw on that sheet of paper anything that I want. I also have the right to keep it, to revise it, to destroy it, or to post it on a bulletin board. Any bulletin board.

So is it with my computer. Especially since I paid for it in cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment