Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Neighborhood of The Birds

The Neighborhood of The Birds
Photo by Angelique Pearl Miranda, May 17, 2015

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

"Ube Tarts" (Night of Monday, August 17, 2015)

Events of the Day:

Benjie and I did more house cleaning and furniture rearrangement today. I threw out a lot of stuff. I have come to the point at which I am no longer throwing away junk but things I have ambivalent feelings about. Very soon I will be confronted with throwing away things that I do like but must do away with, and must make difficult decisions.

Evening cloudburst, which Angelique barely managed to escape. She came home just as Aubrey and I were seated at dinner.


The Dream:

I am with my four sisters. We travel out of town to eat in a restaurant. Our eldest sister Lourdes orders a box of ube tarts to take home to her husband. The ube tarts look good. I am reminded, even in the dreaming state, of the Colette's tarts that we buy on our way to Los Banos from Cubao. They are so good that they sell out almost as quickly as they are placed in their glass counters early in the morning, and are no longer available by midday.

My craving is for haluhalo with ube jam. I order one ube tart as well, and I relish eating it.


My Interpretation:

When one cleans and rearranges one's house, one also cleans and rearranges one's psyche. One inevitably comes across items with old memories, photos from the past, and things long stowed away and forgotten. The storage spaces in one's house, therefore, metaphorically comprise the Unconscious.

This dream is a celebration of the major changes that I have made in our house. My sisters, who grew up with me, represent my past, my present, and my crossing yet another threshold to the future. My psyche is stressing the color violet as a healing color, as opposed to green. I see this because my brother-in-law, Lourdes's husband, is recuperating from an illness, and, in the dream, Lourdes buys a box of violet-colored tarts for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment